⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-metadata Digest, Vol 100, Issue 2

From: Comiskey, Glenn <g.comiskey>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:18:55 +0100

Bonjour Alain,

Being new to the world of meteorological/oceangraphic data myself
recently, I had the same problem you have when reading the various
conventions available. Based upon discussions about this matter, and how
others are using and interpretating the conventions, I personally have
adopted a position whereby the term "should" is regarded as a mandatory
requirement. That is to say I interpret "should" as "must".

While I agree that the general definition of "should" would imply
something being optional, the general definition also implies a strong
sense of obligation. That is to say you must do something unless you
have a good reason not to, i.e. I should not kill anyone (I use this as
an example of how strongly "should" could be regarded as obligatory,
rather than my homicidal tendencies :-)

Hope this helps, though I am sure others will also comment.

Salut,

Glenn

Message: 6