⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new TEOS-10 standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:55:02 +0100

Dear Trevor, Paul, et al.

> (2) The fact that a model variable drifts should not be a reason to use a different name for that variable.

I agree with you. I only made that point because you appeared to be giving
initialisation to a field of practical salinity as a reason why the quantity
was practical salinity. That didn't seem a very robust argument to me, but
think your other argument, about the equation of state assuming it to be
practical salinity, is a more cogent one.

However, as I said, some models are idealised. For instance, I have run
HadCM3 with density as a linear function of potential temperature and salinity.
I don't think it would be right to say this salinity was practical salinity
- it's too otherworldly to be "practical"!

I agree with Paul that CMIP models have been initialised from realistic
datasets of practical salinity. But CMIP models are only a minority of the
models in the world, for which CF may be used. Different applications require
different choices of standard name.