⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF metadata compliant netCDF file

From: David Blodgett <dblodgett>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:23:40 -0500

Not to beat a dead horse, but this issue has been a huge stumbling block in our work to integrate data and software across the climate and geographic communities.

The argument here is: Since CF data is usually so coarse and low precision complete geolocation metadata should not be required.

An example of why this matters: Two scientists take the same downscaled climate data that doesn't have a datum specification and import it into their application. One application assumes one datum, the other assumes another datum. Scientist 1's results differ from scientist 2's results. In situations where their are steep gradients in downscaled data, these differences may be substantial.

One solution would be to adopt a default datum for data lacking datum definition. So, given a file that uses lat/lon and claims to follow CF spec, a scientist could follow the specs guidance on what datum to assume. Without this type guidance or a requirement to include the information, lat/lon without a datum amounts to providing any other value without units.

Dave