⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new TEOS-10 standard names

From: Paul.Durack at csiro.au <Paul.Durack>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:33:13 +1000

To follow on from Trevor's comments, most CMIP3-grade ocean models were initialised, at least in their pre-coupled ocean state from a variant of the World Ocean Atlas (WOA). Listed on the CMIP3 Climate Model Documentation, References, and Links webpages (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov/ipcc/model_documentation/ipcc_model_documentation.php) these suggest that initialisation fields were sourced mostly from:
LEV82: Levitus (1982);
LEV94: Levitus et al., (1994), Levitus and Boyer (1994);
LEV98: Conkright et al.,(1999);
LEV: unspecified Levitus database

Just selecting one model from the ~24 or so which comprise the CMIP3 suite, CNRM-CM3, under section 5 - Simulation Details indicates:
Picntrl/Run_1:
This preindustrial control simulation was initialized from a coupled simulation of a previous version of CNRM coupled model initialized an ocean at rest with temperature and salinity profiles specified from Levitus (1982) climatology, integrated for 30 years with a relaxation of surface temperature to the monthly mean Reynolds climatology for 1950.

Subsequent runs are often then initialised from a previously completed spinup..

So I think it is fair to say that most model fields are then a modelled version of practical salinity..

Cheers,