⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new TEOS-10 standard names:- reply to two emails.

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:26:48 +0100

Hi Trevor,

As one who has worked in a data centre for a long time I can tell you that the transition to Practical Salinity was nowhere near as clean as you imply. The 1978 Equations of State weren't published by UNESCO until 1982 or 1983 and it took some people a long while to latch on (I remember locating at least one bit of code in use in the 90s that hadn't been updated). There was also uncertainty resulting from the lack of information on the algorithms built into the STD systems of the 70s that were still in use well into the 80s.

Hopefully, the transition to TEOS-10 will be much cleaner.

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding that models couldn't generate Practical Salinity. However, I still feel that aliasing the current salinity standard names to practical salinity is a little too risky.

Cheers, Roy.