⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new TEOS-10 standard names

From: Trevor.Mcdougall at csiro.au <Trevor.Mcdougall>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:49:58 +1000

Hello Jonathon,

  The use of the word "preformed" in "Preformed Salinity" is the same use as in "preformed nitrate", NO, and "preformed phosphate" PO. The idea is to recover the conservative variable that would be present if there were no biogeochemistry. The methods that we use probably subtract off some effects of geochemistry as well as of biogeochemistry, at least in the open ocean. The aim in forming Preformed Salinity has been to subtract off from Absolute Salinity those contributions that have arisen from all types of prior non-conservative source terms. These source terms are primarily biogeochemical, not geochemical, but it is possible that some contributions to seawater composition from geochemistry have been mixed up in our methods with those caused by biogeochemistry. But really, this is an area of research in which there is presently only one world expert (Rich Pawlowicz), and the research area needs boosting so we can better answer such questions. I'm sure this paragraph is more information than anyone
wanted to know!

   Preformed Salinity is a relatively new concept, first appearing in the following two papers, and in the TEOS-10 Manual.

  (1) Pawlowicz, R., D. G. Wright and F. J. Millero, 2011: The effects of biogeochemical processes on oceanic conductivity/salinity/density relationships and the characterization of real seawater. Ocean Science, 7, 363-387. http://www.ocean-sci.net/7/363/2011/os-7-363-2011.pdf

   (2) Wright, D. G., R. Pawlowicz, T. J. McDougall, R. Feistel and G. M. Marion, 2011: Absolute Salinity, "Density Salinity" and the Reference-Composition Salinity Scale: present and future use in the seawater standard TEOS-10. Ocean Sci., 7, 1-26.
  http://www.ocean-sci.net/7/1/2011/os-7-1-2011.pdf

   (3) IOC, SCOR and IAPSO, 2010: The international thermodynamic equation of seawater - 2010: Calculation and use of thermodynamic properties. Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, Manuals and Guides No. 56, UNESCO (English), 196 pp.
Available from http://www.TEOS-10.org/TEOS-10_Manual.pdf

I don't disagree with your suggestion of adding the descriptor "specific" to indicate that these things are "per unit mass".

As for what salinity is carried in existing ocean models, I think there is a clear definitive answer, namely Practical Salinity. Why? Because ocean models are initialized with Practical Salinity data and the equation of state has, for 30 years, been written in terms of Practical Salinity. The fact that it is model output and not observed data should be clear from the metadata, yes?

   To add to a previous comment from me, I should point out that the software to calculate both Absolute Salinity and Preformed Salinity from Practical Salinity is available from www.TEOS-10.org in Matlab, Fortran (and C), and soon, Python. All these are the same version 3.0 of the software.

  Note that TEOS-10 uses upper case letters for
      Conservative Temperature
      Absolute Salinity
      Preformed Salinity
to indicate specifically defined quantities. Note also that Practical Salinity has always had upper case letters, while potential temperature has always been lower case, as has in-situ temperature.

This is the end of this post today.

   Trevor J McDougall