⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] More background on the burned area

From: Tansey, Kevin J. <kjt7>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:48:06 +0100

Dear colleagues,
I have now joined the list and should start receiving comments. To provide more background, on some of the comments I've been sent.

1. I've based it on the sea ice term, it is similar.
2. We use the term severity to describe the level of burning. However, there is much research on this term and discussion over what it means and how it is measured. It is certainly not a standard.
3. We can characterise the fire radiative power of an active fire and this has been found to be related to the total consumed biomass. These could be considered as standard terms once we have burned area.
4. Already in the list there contains a term on flux in emissions from fire activity. This is a standard measurement.

One step at a time. I can engage others in the community to think about standard terms. At the moment, we know burned area as a yes - burnt, not burnt. We still aim to get this measured accurately from space at global scales.

Many thanks for your discussion on this.

Kevin

Dr. Kevin Tansey
Senior Lecturer in Remote Sensing
Department of Geography