⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF metadata compliant netCDF file

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 09:51:07 -0700

Hi All,

Section 4.1 says:
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.5/cf-conventions.html#coordinate-types)

    "/Coordinate types other than latitude, longitude, vertical, and
    time _*are allowed*_. To identify generic spatial coordinates we
    recommend that the |axis| attribute be attached to these coordinates
    and given one of the values |X|, |Y| or |Z|./"

This is in contradiction to section 5.6:
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.5/cf-conventions.html#grid-mappings-and-projections)

    "/When the coordinate variables for a horizontal grid are not
    longitude and latitude,*_it is required that the true latitude and
    longitude coordinates be supplied_* via the coordinates attribute/."

Section 5.6 was added after many years of CF usage in which non-lat-long
coordinate systems were regarded as _valid_ CF files. There are
"climate and forecast" applications in which numerical experiments are
performed in purely theoretical coordinate systems -- say, ocean models
on cyclic coordinates over an idealized ocean basin. (Much less common
today than 20 years ago.)

This contradiction needs to be resolved. My opinion is that it is
section 5.6 that should be revised to say that "grid_mapping" is a tool
that is available **if a mapping is needed** -- rather than as a
required attribute whenever the coordinates are not conventional lat-long.

Opinions?

     - Steve