⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names: depth/bathy/topo rel to datum

From: Justin R. Davis <davis>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:57:52 -0000

Recently, there was added a standard name to define water level
referenced to an atrbitrary vertical datum:

   water_surface_height_above_reference_datum

I'd like to propose that a new standard name be created to indicate the
sea floor depth to an arbitrary datum. Something along the lines of

   sea_floor_depth_below_reference_datum (positive down)

This would be consistent with other already existing standard names.

However, my ultimate goal would be to have a variable to define
bathymetry/topography in the water/land referenced to some standard
surveying datum (e.g. NGV29, NAVD88, etc.). So my suggested new
standard name above would be suggicient, however, I'd really like
the following added, so while I'm at it I'll propose these as well:

   bathymetry_below_reference_datum (postive down)
   topography_above_reference_datum (postive up)

Furthermore, I'd also propose that any of these 3 would be required to
have metadata with them (e.g. NetCDF attribute) which specifically defines
the reference datum. This metadata would be called "VerticalDatum" (IOOS
uses this) and would have a syntax like the following for NAVD88:

   urn:ogc:def:datum:epsg::5103

jrd

PS Current "related standard names which are either referenced
to the surface or MSL.

height (above surface)
depth (below surface)
sea_floor_depth_below_geoid (below MSL)
sea_floor_depth_below_sea_level (local MSL)
sea_floor_depth_below_sea_surface (below surface)