⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF Specification of Vertical Datums

From: Justin R. Davis <davis>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:39:21 -0000

I appreciate everyones's responses. I believe I have 2 of my 4 implied
questions answered sufficiently. That is, a standard_name for water level
which includes the concept of a non-geoid datum and an acceptable way to
define a vertical datum.

One of my remaining questions would be, where to put the datum
information. As an attribute? or as a several variable? If attribute,
what to call it? If variable, does it need a standard_name? (I don't
think an appropriate one exists) and how would the original variable (e.g.
water level) point to it (more of an issue if multiple datums are used
within the same file).

The final question was about the lack of a standard name for
depth referenced to a datum. Per the most recent response, I'll
go ahead an propose one and see what happens..

jrd

PS Regarding NGVD29/NAVD88 and Geoid. Not being a geodesist either,
I'll respond to that off list :)