⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [Standard name request] property changes over time

From: Paul.Durack at csiro.au <Paul.Durack>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:48:07 +1000

Apologies for the tardiness with response..

My whole point of suggesting the "*_change" suffix was to request a generalization, so the existing standard name list (with *_change appended, e.g. sea_water_salinity_change, sea_water_temperature_change and sea_water_density_change) could be used, rather than having to explicitly request a new standard name, and bloat the already large standard-name-table.

By having to go through the process of requesting each independent new *change* variable, it creates another job for the CF working group, whereas the generalized suffix *_change could be implemented (with appropriate specification of a climatology attribute which specifies the period over which the "change" represented), which then allows any existing standard name (sea_water_salinity -> sea_water_salinity_change, sea_water_temperature -> sea_water_temperature_change etc) to be used with the new suffix.

I personally prefer the *_change suffix to change_in_* as I can find these entries more logically in an alphabetical listing - such as the standard name table itself e.g.:
** my suggestion of "*_change" **
sea_water_pressure_at_sea_water_surface
sea_water_salinity
sea_water_salinity_change
sea_water_sigma_t
** versus the existing "change_in_*" **
change_in_atmosphere_energy_content_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_wrt_surface_pressure
change_in_energy_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_change_in_sigma_coordinate_wrt_surface_pressure
change_in_sea_water_salinity
change_over_time_in_atmosphere_water_content_due_to_advection
sea_water_pressure_at_sea_water_surface
sea_water_salinity
sea_water_sigma_t
**

Does this seem to be a reasonable request?

Cheers,