⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits handling of fuzzy time units

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:30:28 -0600

On 3/21/2011 11:14 AM, Steve Hankin wrote:

> On 3/17/2011 5:20 PM, John Caron wrote:

>>> I think we are leading ourselves astray here. _A point in time has a
>>> dimension._ It has dimensions of "time". Whether the units happen
>>> to be days, months, years or whatever depends upon the encoding.
>>> But it definitely has dimensions of time. The date-time string
>>> loses its meaning if we see it as detached from the axis that gives
>>> it a dimensionality.
>>
>> in "dimensional units", "secs" is a base dimensional unit, and it
>> means "duration", eg watts = joules/sec, the sec is a time duration,
>> not an instant of time.
>>
>> "time" is not a dimensional unit, it refers to a point on the time
>> continuum. it does not have dimensional units of "secs", that is, it
>> cannot be converted to a duration in "secs".
>
> Hi John,
>
> Beg to differ on these most fundamental of issues. *All times* (all
> "points on the time continuum") indicate intervals. Typical
> date-time strings (e.g. "21-MAR-2011:10:10") are an artfully contrived
> way of stating an interval of time relative to a precise zero
> reference that is 2011+ years ago, while still retaining high
> resolution (fractions of seconds) in that interval measurement. But
> perhaps this is not a point to pursue much deeper without beer in hand.
>
> To me the most important point is just this: before proposing new
> libraries and new data models, there should be an effort to see
> whether there is any functionality that cannot be very satisfactorily
> handled by adding some convenience methods to the encodings that CF
> and udunits have already standardized.
>
> - Steve

Hi Steve:

Well I havent had a beer yet today (6:30 am), but ill try to simulate
the vibe ;^)

I think Im using "units" in a more restrictive sense then you are. Im
thinking about "dimensional units", which udunits handles well.
Dimensional units are powers of base units, m^2/sec^2 for example. A
"calendar time unit" is different, in that one never combines it with
base units or takes powers of it. m^2 / (2011-11-01)^2 wouldnt make sense.

Whether one wants to consider an instant of calendar time or an interval
of calendar time doesnt matter so much as the fact that its not a
dimensional unit.

? votre sant?!

John