⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits handling of fuzzy time units

From: Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:37:49 -0700

On 3/18/11 10:23 AM, Jon Blower wrote:
>> Just so you know, the UDUNITS package does assume the first day of the
>> year at 00:00:00 UTC if additional resolution time-fields are omitted.
>> This conforms to the ISO standard.
>
> Actually (according to Wikipedia at least) the ISO8601 standard assumes local time if the time zone is omitted.

right, separate point, but yes. I think timezone should ALWAYS be there
-- I should have put that in my example.

> But it's important to highlight that UDUNITS does assume midnight UTC if no time is provided. It implies that the temporal > resolution is not to be inferred from the length of the UDUNITS time string.

well, I think that's because for math you need to assume SOMETHING. Is
this any different than assuming that:

2 = 2.0 = 2.000 = 2.0000000

In any other unit?

but I think we'd all infer something about resolution/precision from
those different representations.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.