⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits handling of fuzzy time units

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:27:52 -0400

It is worse than that -- though the local time of the standard creates a
problem for us -- according to the iso standard, if time is omitted, the
string corresponds to the whole day, not the start of the day -- ISO8601 is
a time *interval* standard -- the iso8601 string implies a moment and a
width a.k.a resolution. For example, 2001-01-01/07 is the first week of
2001 is an ISO8601 string. This is an "excellent" time representation, and
an essential characteristic of a good time representation, but does not map
well into software that only holds an instantaneous time, or even XML Schema
for that matter. CF, of course, has bounds, so that the edges of the time
interval can be specified.

Benno