⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Tomoo Ogura <ogura>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:26:05 +0900

Dear Jonathan and Philip Cc: Jen,

Many thanks for your comments.
My understanding of the issue is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The tendencies of cloud liquid (condensed) water represented by the proposed
standard names refer to the slow falling process of cloud liquid water.
They have typical terminal fall speeds of less than 1 [m/s].
The fallen cloud liquid doesn't always reach the ground
; it often evaporates in the air.

There are fast falling processes of cloud liquid water, but they are represented
by other existing standard names. For example,

(a) tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air
_due_to_autoconversion
 and
(b) tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air
_due_to_accretion_to_rain

both convert the slow-falling "cloud liquid" to fast-falling "rain" in GCMs.

In this case, it appears to me that we need some distinction on the basis of fall speed.
If "precipitation" implies that something falls to the earth's surface,
then the slow falling process of cloud liquid may be represented by other words
since it doesn't necessarily reach the surface
- does this make sense?

Best wishes

Tomoo