⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions for a network of velocity sensors

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:48:42 +0100

  Hi all,
the WDCC (http://cera-www.dkrz.de/) describes the sensor(instrument) and
source(platform) metadata with the
nasa dif.

http://gcmd.nasa.gov/User/suppguide/instruments/instrument_identification.html
(http://gcmd.nasa.gov/User/difguide/sensor_name.html)

http://gcmd.nasa.gov/User/suppguide/platforms/platform_identification.html
(http://gcmd.nasa.gov/User/difguide/source_name.html)

This is done for a project (http://umwelt.wikidora.com/wikidora/)
together with the
Meteorological Institute of the University of Bonn.
It is not possible to view this information in the our user interface.
(The system is not ready.)
Our project partner at the University of Bonn agreed that the dif sensor
and source description is
sufficient for their need.

I would like to translate the nasa dif for sensor and source to a cf
example, but I need help.
Problems are:
The sensor and source metadate are hierarchic
and it would be good give a reference to http://gcmd.nasa.gov

This is a first quick try:

dimensions:
     sample = 1000;
     wind_vector = 3;
     inst_name_strlen = 1000;
     platform_name_strlen = 1000;

variables:
     float wind(sample, wind_vector);
         wind:long_name = "3D wind";
         wind:units = "m/s";
         wind:coordinates = "lon lat z time";
     char inst_name(sample, inst_name_strlen);
         inst_name:reference =
"http://gcmd.nasa.gov/User/suppguide/instruments/instrument_identification.html";
         inst_name:long_name =
"[Instrument_Category=...][Instrument_Class=...][Instrument_Type=...]
[Instrument_Subtype=...][Short_Name=...][Long_Name=...]";
         inst_name:coordinates = "lon lat z time" ;
     char platform_name(sample, platform_name_strlen);
         platform_name:reference =
"http://gcmd.nasa.gov/User/suppguide/platforms/platform_identification.html";
         platform_name:long_name =
"[Platform_Category=...][Platform_Series_or_Entity=...][Short_Name=...][Long_Name=...]";
         platform_name:coordinates = "lon lat z time" ;

I started with an example see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/papers/obs2.pdf

Best wishes
Heinke