⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF name for predicted water level? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Andy Taylor <A.Taylor>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:43:00 +1100

Hello All.

I would be interested to hear if anyone can expand on the recent discussion of standard names for predicted water level. In particular with regard to the several variations of water level data that I am storing in netCDF format, but for which I am not yet able to comfortably assign standard names.

For example:

 * water level actually observed by tide gauges.
    * Jeff DLB's "water_surface_height_above_reference_datum" sounds appropriate but isn't in the current table.
 * sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_ different versions of ocean tide
    * variations of included tidal constituents
    * variations on qualitative source of the tidal estimate: insitu harmonic analysis, gridded tide model
 * sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_
    * non-tidal ocean dynamics

My inclination is to use the most general relevant standard name ("sea_surface_height") and differentiate the variations via 'long_name', 'description' and other metadata but would be happy to hear suggestions.

Also, I note an instance where the descriptive text in the tables (at http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-table/16/cf-standard-name-table.html) has me a little confused.

 * sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_equilibrium_ocean_tide : "...equilibrium ocean tide refers to the long period ocean tide."
 * sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_non_equilibrium_ocean_tide: "...non equilibrium ocean tide refers to the long period ocean tide."

Cheers

Andy Taylor
Ocean Observation, Assessment & Prediction Research Program
Centre for Australian Weather & Climate Research: A partnership between the Bureau of Meteorology & CSIRO
GPO Box 1289, Melbourne VIC 3001 AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61 3 9669 4650 Fax: +61 3 9669 4660
A.Taylor at bom.gov.au<x-msg://21/A.Taylor at bom.gov.au> <mailto:A.Taylor at bom.gov.au>