⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds not allowed for scalar coordinate variables

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:42:29 -0700

Hi Karl,

The discussion concerning the introduction of the scalar coordinate
variable is available in the archive (July 2003 under the subject "size-one
axes"). There was never a decision to disallow the "bounds" attribute.

Although it could be more explicitly stated in the current document, I
think several sections support the use of "bounds" with scalar coordinate
variable. In addition to the statement Jonathan points out in section 5.7 I
find:

The definition of a scalar coordinate variable is (section 1.2):

  A scalar variable that contains coordinate data. Functionally
  equivalent to either a size one coordinate variable or a size one
  auxiliary coordinate variable.

The first paragraph of section 7.1 contains

  A boundary variable will have one more dimension than its
  associated coordinate or auxiliary coordinate variable.

Scalar coordinate variables are auxiliary coordinate variables, and if the
"bounds" attribute were not allowed then they could not be functionally
equivalent to size one auxiliary coordinate variables.

The statement you called out occurs in section 2.4 on dimensions and was
written long before we adopted the scalar coordinate variable. I assume
that rewording that statement to be more precise just fell through the
cracks. But on that point I don't agree with Jonathan's assertion:

> I believe that by "coordinate variable" it means either
> a size-one (Unidata) coord var or a scalar coord var.

In very early drafts we tried using "coordinate variable" in a more general
sense than its definition in the NetCDF User's Guide (NUG). But
distinquishing between coordinate variables in the strict NUG sense, and in
the general sense became very awkward. We therefore resolved to use the
term "coordinate variable" only in the NUG sense. I think the document is
very consistent about this, which is why the statement that you point out
is confusing and should be modified to explicitly mention scalar coordinate
variables.

Brian