⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Web reference to a standard name?

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:56:41 -0800

In theory, MMI can support that approach (redirecting cfconventions.org, ideally transparently). (That is, I worked it out in my head once. Haven't actually tried it in practice. I *think* it's "just a simple matter of programming". ;->) I think that's the best combination to support both appropriate branding and the kind of support a "full time dedicated" repository can give. Roy's server perhaps the same. (But not both at once!)

Just to be crystal clear, the places where you have '16' could also have 'current' (if I understand correctly what Roy was saying about their server), and the mmisw one could also be served with a particular version ID (analogous to the NERC example).

If there is someone on the CF (or other) team that wants to play with us on the 'simple matter of programming' part, that would be a collaboration we'd be happy to encourage.

John

On Dec 14, 2010, at 08:16, Steve Hankin wrote:

> I second that thought.
>
> On 12/14/2010 3:12 AM, Bryan Lawrence wrote:
>> Hi Dom
>>
>> Actually, I think we really want:
>>
>> http://cfconventions.org/something
>>
>> (We own cfconventions.org, so we can point it where we want!)
>>
>> And I would like in 2011 to have settled on a permanent answer to that
>> question!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bryan
>>
>>> Thanks all,
>>>
>>> Interesting to see the new MMI ontology work.
>>> I take from this discussion then that there is not currently a CF
>>> 'blessed' method to reference a term?
>>>
>>> E.g. for air_temperature I can choose from any of these:
>>>
>>> http://mmisw.org/ont/cf/parameter/air_temperature
>>> http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P071/16/CFSN0023
>>> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-ta
>>> ble/16/cf-standard-name-table.html#air_temperature plus: