⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] potential temperature

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:45:05 -0500

I am a bit rusty at this, but in the ocean potential temperature and
salinity are preserved in an adiabatic transition, "potential density" is
not because the eq-of-state is non-linear. So potential density is spoken
of in the ocean, but it gets one into trouble because if parcels are moved
far enough to the reference pressure, the relative potential_density of the
two can switch. So I would think potential_temperature is the better choice
of variable for a modeler, and reference_pressure_for_potential_temperature
is in fact an accurate description of the situation even for
potential_density (salinity does not have a reference pressure).

Benno