⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Web reference to a standard name?

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:25:48 -0500

> We have tried to get standard URIs for CF concepts, but the effort bogged
> down.

As for standard names, MMI established a set of URIs at

http://marinemetadata.org/cf

but has not been keeping up to date. I have written a XSL transform at

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/ontologies/xslt/.cfsn2rdf.xsl

that can be applied to

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-table/16/cf-standard-name-table.xml

to generate an up-to-date version, e.g.

xsltproc http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/ontologies/xslt/.cfsn2rdf.xsl
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-table/16/cf-standard-name-table.xml

On the other hand, Roy has created opaque URIs for standard names at

http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/list/P07/9 contains all the Standard Names that
> have ever been published, including names that have been aliased
>
> http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/list/P071/9 contains the Standard Names that
> are currently valid (i.e. those that have not been deprecated through
> aliasing)
>
> http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/list/P072/9 contains the Standard Names that
> have been deprecated through aliasing
>
> The mapping between deprecates and their replacement aliases my be obtained
> through the following API call
>

> http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/axis2/services/vocab/getMap?subjectList=http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/list/P072/current&predicate=255&objectList=http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/list/P071/current&inference=false

he changes them with each version, so it is both more definitive and harder
to use. It is also pure SKOS, so one needs to add structure to actually
connect it with a CF-described dataset. I plan to write out a map between
the two, so that I can use his relationships between CF standard_names, but
I do not have it yet.

Additional information and ontologies describing the CF structure both as
attributes and conceptually are available at
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/ontologies/, including the connections
between the standard_name ontologies and the CF structure.

Benno