⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sublimation

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:59:35 +0000

Dear Karl and Jonathan,

water_sublimation_flux appears to have been present as far back as
version 1 of the standard name table, so it was probably there even
before the CF website was moved to PCMDI.
surface_snow_and_ice_sublimation_flux first appeared in version 8 of the
table, dated 15th April 2008.

The definition of water_sublimation_flux says " 'water' means water in
all phases. Sublimation is the conversion of solid into vapor." These
two sentences seem somewhat contradictory to me so I don't much like the
definition anyway.

I suppose 'surface frozen water' could include frost as well as snow and
ice. In any case, I suggest that the more recent name is the clearer as
to its meaning and the fact that it is intended to apply only at the
surface. I suggest that we keep surface_snow_and_ice_sublimation_flux
as the name for the quantity needed in CMIP5. (N.B. In LImon the
quantity appears in row 28, not 22 as stated).

Personally, I wouldn't have guessed that water_sublimation_flux was only
intended to apply to the surface. If it is, then we should make it an
alias of the other name, but are we sure that we don't need a name for
sublimation in the atmosphere?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.