⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data (time as ISO strings)

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:43:44 -0400

Hi Jon,

Sorry, I am not buying it.

No one I know beyond the age of four thinks Sep 2009 is ambiguous, and
I don't read your examples as needing vagueness on the time
specifically.

Suppose, for a moment, that you succeed beyond your wildest dreams,
and it is possible to express in CF some relationship to a vague
notion of Sep2009, i.e.

data hasADataRelationshipWith vagueSep2009.

I would say there is another relationship

vagueSep2009 isAVagueVersionOf preciseSep2009

And you could have just as easily coded in CF

data hasADataRelationshipWithAVaugeVersionOf preciseSep2009

i.e. there is no reason why the vaugeness cannot be coded as a
dependent data property. Which is what CF is currently set up to do,
with a possible extension of the cell_methods vocabulary

Futhermore, you said

> You *could* modify CF so that to represent data that are "representative of September 2010", you specify a nominal date half-way through September and set the bounds to the first and last instants of September. And perhaps use a new cell_methods of "representative". But the half-way point and the bounds would be quite (very) tedious to compute in the general case (months and years are of variable length for example and depend on the calendar system).

That is not a modification of CF -- that is the way it is currently
encoded in CF (though there is no meaning to the nominal value, so you
can set it to whatever). And yes, you have to generate the edges,
which you have to do anyway if you are going to sensibly handle
computations with the data.

And let me repeat my main original point, so that it does not get
completely buried -- CF software really needs to render time bounds
as ISO8601 conveniently and universally (both directions seems to be
essential, i.e. reading and writing), so the the CF convention can be
easily used in this regard.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Benno

Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal? ? ? ? ? benno at iri.columbia.edu