⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 carbon cycle standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:08:01 +0100

Dear Pierre et al,

I have been checking through the definitions of the carbon cycle names
and I think the name
surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_due_to_emission_from_natural_sources
should more properly be called
surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_em
ission_from_natural_sources. Any objections?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

"tendency_of_X"
> means derivative of X with respect to time.'
>
> I agree with Philip's point that it would be worth expanding the
> definitions where appropriate to explain more fully the relationship
> between surface upward fluxes and emissions into the atmosphere as a
> whole. I suppose that a surface downward flux would be considered
> equivalent to the contributions from various deposition processes.
>
> I think this has been a useful discussion as it has helped to clarify
> the definitions of the names as well as arriving at the most
> appropriate
> terminology. I think we should stick with the names as originally
> accepted:

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carb
> [...]
> > 1. leaf_carbon_content; kg m-2
> > 2. wood_carbon_content; kg m-2
> > 3. root_carbon_content; kg m-2
> > 4. carbon_content_of_miscellaneous_living_matter; kg m-2
> > 5. wood_debris_carbon_content; kg m-2
> >
> > 1, 2. 3 and 5 have the structure "X_carbon_content", while 4 has the
> structure "carbon_content_of_X". Is there any particular reason for
> not
> giving > 4 the name:
> > 4. miscellaneous_living_matter_carbon_content,
> > which would conform to the pattern?
>
> I think it was Jonathan who suggested
> carbon_content_of_miscellaneous_living_matter as an improvement on my
> original proposal of miscellaneous_living_compartments_carbon_content.
> However, I think that Robert is correct that we could take Jonathan's
> wording and change the order without loss of clarity. Does anyone
> object to using miscellaneous_living_matter_carbon_content?
>
> > Fluxes of carbon
> > 1. surface_upward_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon
> > [_due_to_emission_from_fires_excluding_land_use_change]; kg
> m-2 s-1 2.
> > surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon
> > [_due_to_natural_emission]; kg m-2 3.
> > surface_upward_carbon_flux
> > [_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_growth]; kg m-2 s-1
(I
> have bracketted [...] the part of the name which is not relevant to my
> > question.)
> >
> > Is there any difference in meaning between these three syntactic
> forms
>
> > for carbon flux? It's not my field, but on the face of it they
> appear
> > to be alternative way of expressing the same quantity.
> >
> > I presume that there is a principle that, where possible, names
> should
> be constructed according to a consistent pattern (especially in the
> light of > Jonathan's work on rules for formulating names), so my
guess
> is that there are some reasons for the above differences but I am not
> sure
> > what they are. As you've probably guessed, my interest in this
> relates
> > to my own work on developing a grammar for standard names, and it is
> clearly desirable to reduce the number of grammar rules to a minimum.
>
> I agree that wherever possible we should stick to using a small set of
> grammar rules. However, there are occasions where being too rigid
> about
> the syntax can result in immensely long and unwieldy (and therefore
> difficult to understand) names. Often it is just a question of
> readability.
>
> I think we could call the second quantity

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon[_due_to_emission_from_natural_source
> ]
> to make it more consistent with the first without any loss of
> readability. Does anyone object to this change?
>
> Looking at the third name and trying to squeeze it into the same

surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_emission_from_plant_respiration_
> or_biomass_growth
> which I think is less readable, so I prefer the syntax without the
> 'emission'. Do others agree?
> (Incidentally, this would also affect another related name:

surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_ma
> ntenance).
>
> Robert's email has caused me to re-read the names more carefully and I
> realise that I have neglected to make clear that many of the carbon
> fluxes are in fact mass fluxes (as opposed to mole fluxes, for
> example).
> I would like to slightly revise some of the names already accepted to
> include the word 'mass':

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_e
> ission_from_fires_excluding_land_use_change; kg m-2 s-1

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_e
> ission_from_grazing; kg m-2 s-1

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_e
> ission_from_crop_harvesting; kg m-2 s-1

surface_net_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_
> o_emission_from_anthropogenic_land_use_change; kg m-2 s-1

surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_du

_to_photosynthesis_and_respiration_and_fires_including_land_use_change;
> kg m-2 s-1
> carbon_mass_flux_into_soil_from_litter; kg m-2 s-1
> carbon_mass_flux_into_soil_from_vegetation_excluding_litter; kg m-2
s-1

surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_gr
> wth; kg m-2 s-1

surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_ma
> ntenance; kg m-2 s-1

surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_du

_to_photosynthesis_and_respiration_and_fires_excluding_land_use_change;
> kg m-2 s-1.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alison
>
> ------
> Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
> NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
> Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email:
> alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
> Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_a
> > nthropogenic_emission; kg m-2 s-1

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_e
> > mission_from_fossil_fuel_combustion; kg m-2 s-1.
> >
> > Alison had originally proposed the former (tendency_), and you
> (Pierre)
> > argued for the latter (surface_).
> >
> > What I liked was Alison's description of why these tendency_ and
> > surface_ quantities are physically different because the tendency_
> > quantity also includes non-surface emissions.
> >
> > My first point was that your application included aircraft emissions
> so
> > that the tendency_ quantity is the correct physical quantity for
your
> > application (even if your data may put the aircraft emissions in the
> > wrong box). Hence, I recommended we add the tendency_ names to the
> > standard name list, rather than the surface_ names (following CF
> > tradition of not adding names unless needed).
> >
> > My second point was that we already have both tendency_ and surface_
> > names in the list, and many users could easily miss the physical
> > distinction. Hence, I suggested that we expand the descriptions of
> > these names in the list (when they occur) to highlight the
> distinction
> > (because, as you say, many people are likely to look for the
surface_
> > names).
> >
> > My third point was just to note that the one example of a standard
> name
> > similar to the surface_ names proposed above actually specifies the
> > _downward_ direction.
> >
> > I am somewhat sensitive to this issue because I am currently trying
> > use various emission estimates and it is often hard to tell what is
> and
> > isn't included, and hence whether or not I am double counting.
> >
> > Best wishes :-),
> >
> > Philip

> > Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National
> Lab.

(surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon).