⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 carbon cycle standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:12:41 +0100

Dear Pierre, Philip and Robert,

I think Philip's last email pretty much sums up the position as I
understand it. There are two standard names involved, one describing
carbon release from all anthropogenic emissions and another describing
carbon release from fossil fuels alone. The only question is whether
these two quantities should most appropriately be named as surface
fluxes or atmospheric tendencies. The other carbon cycle emissions names
are unaffected by this discussion as they are clearly surface
quantities.

Pierre has explained that the anthropogenic/fossil fuel quantities do
both include emissions from airborne sources such as aircraft and
chimneys. The former are certainly not surface emissions; we could
debate the latter. I think it would be misleading to label the emissions
purely as surface fluxes and we should instead call them atmospheric
tendencies. This way we are not tying the emissions to any particular
vertical location. In fact, the definition of 'emission' in CF standard
names is as follows: ' "Emission" means emission from a primary source
located anywhere within the atmosphere, including at the lower boundary
(i.e. earth's surface),' so it explicitly copes with the case of
emissions aloft. Also, to answer Pierre's point regarding the meaning of
tendency, in standard names it is defined as follows: ' "tendency_of_X"
means derivative of X with respect to time.'

I agree with Philip's point that it would be worth expanding the
definitions where appropriate to explain more fully the relationship
between surface upward fluxes and emissions into the atmosphere as a
whole. I suppose that a surface downward flux would be considered
equivalent to the contributions from various deposition processes.

I think this has been a useful discussion as it has helped to clarify
the definitions of the names as well as arriving at the most appropriate
terminology. I think we should stick with the names as originally
accepted:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbo
n_due_to_anthropogenic_emission; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbo
n_due_to_emission_from_fossil_fuel_combustion; kg m-2 s-1.

Robert contacted me by email with some comments regarding the
consistency of the carbon cycle names:

> Carbon_content
> 1. leaf_carbon_content; kg m-2
> 2. wood_carbon_content; kg m-2
> 3. root_carbon_content; kg m-2
> 4. carbon_content_of_miscellaneous_living_matter; kg m-2
> 5. wood_debris_carbon_content; kg m-2
>
> 1, 2. 3 and 5 have the structure "X_carbon_content", while 4 has the
structure "carbon_content_of_X". Is there any particular reason for not
giving > 4 the name:
> 4. miscellaneous_living_matter_carbon_content,
> which would conform to the pattern?

I think it was Jonathan who suggested
carbon_content_of_miscellaneous_living_matter as an improvement on my
original proposal of miscellaneous_living_compartments_carbon_content.
However, I think that Robert is correct that we could take Jonathan's
wording and change the order without loss of clarity. Does anyone
object to using miscellaneous_living_matter_carbon_content?

> Fluxes of carbon
> 1. surface_upward_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon
> [_due_to_emission_from_fires_excluding_land_use_change]; kg
m-2 s-1 2.
> surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon
> [_due_to_natural_emission]; kg m-2 3.
> surface_upward_carbon_flux
> [_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_growth]; kg m-2 s-1 (I
have bracketted [...] the part of the name which is not relevant to my
> question.)
>
> Is there any difference in meaning between these three syntactic forms

> for carbon flux? It's not my field, but on the face of it they
appear
> to be alternative way of expressing the same quantity.
>
> I presume that there is a principle that, where possible, names should
be constructed according to a consistent pattern (especially in the
light of > Jonathan's work on rules for formulating names), so my guess
is that there are some reasons for the above differences but I am not
sure
> what they are. As you've probably guessed, my interest in this
relates
> to my own work on developing a grammar for standard names, and it is
clearly desirable to reduce the number of grammar rules to a minimum.

I agree that wherever possible we should stick to using a small set of
grammar rules. However, there are occasions where being too rigid about
the syntax can result in immensely long and unwieldy (and therefore
difficult to understand) names. Often it is just a question of
readability.

I think we could call the second quantity
surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon[_due_to_emission_from_natural_sources
]
to make it more consistent with the first without any loss of
readability. Does anyone object to this change?

Looking at the third name and trying to squeeze it into the same pattern
would give something like:
surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_emission_from_plant_respiration_f
or_biomass_growth
which I think is less readable, so I prefer the syntax without the
'emission'. Do others agree?
(Incidentally, this would also affect another related name:
surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_mai
ntenance).

Robert's email has caused me to re-read the names more carefully and I
realise that I have neglected to make clear that many of the carbon
fluxes are in fact mass fluxes (as opposed to mole fluxes, for example).
I would like to slightly revise some of the names already accepted to
include the word 'mass':

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_em
ission_from_fires_excluding_land_use_change; kg m-2 s-1
surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_em
ission_from_grazing; kg m-2 s-1
surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_em
ission_from_crop_harvesting; kg m-2 s-1
surface_net_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_t
o_emission_from_anthropogenic_land_use_change; kg m-2 s-1
surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due
_to_photosynthesis_and_respiration_and_fires_including_land_use_change;
kg m-2 s-1
carbon_mass_flux_into_soil_from_litter; kg m-2 s-1
carbon_mass_flux_into_soil_from_vegetation_excluding_litter; kg m-2 s-1
surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_gro
wth; kg m-2 s-1
surface_upward_carbon_mass_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_mai
ntenance; kg m-2 s-1
surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due
_to_photosynthesis_and_respiration_and_fires_excluding_land_use_change;
kg m-2 s-1.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_a
> nthropogenic_emission; kg m-2 s-1

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_e
> mission_from_fossil_fuel_combustion; kg m-2 s-1.
>
> Alison had originally proposed the former (tendency_), and you
(Pierre)
> argued for the latter (surface_).
>
> What I liked was Alison's description of why these tendency_ and
> surface_ quantities are physically different because the tendency_
> quantity also includes non-surface emissions.
>
> My first point was that your application included aircraft emissions
so
> that the tendency_ quantity is the correct physical quantity for your
> application (even if your data may put the aircraft emissions in the
> wrong box). Hence, I recommended we add the tendency_ names to the
> standard name list, rather than the surface_ names (following CF
> tradition of not adding names unless needed).
>
> My second point was that we already have both tendency_ and surface_
> names in the list, and many users could easily miss the physical
> distinction. Hence, I suggested that we expand the descriptions of
> these names in the list (when they occur) to highlight the distinction
> (because, as you say, many people are likely to look for the surface_
> names).
>
> My third point was just to note that the one example of a standard
name
> similar to the surface_ names proposed above actually specifies the
> _downward_ direction.
>
> I am somewhat sensitive to this issue because I am currently trying to
> use various emission estimates and it is often hard to tell what is
and
> isn't included, and hence whether or not I am double counting.
>
> Best wishes :-),
>
> Philip

> Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National
Lab.

surface_net_upward_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_

surface_net_downward_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_t

> hotosynthesis_and_respiration_and_fires_including_land_use_change;

> s-
> > 1
> from

> surface_litter_carbon_content;

surface_upward_carbon_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_growt

surface_upward_carbon_flux_due_to_plant_respiration_for_biomass_maint

--
Scanned by iCritical.