⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 cryosphere standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:35:22 +0100

Dear All,

I have received some comments via email from Siobhan regarding the CMIP5 sea-ice names. I understand that Siobhan is happy with the majority of the proposed names and she has made some comments regarding the last three names on the list.

I proposed
divergence_of_sea_ice_velocity (already in table) or a new name of
divergence_of_sea_ice_velocity_due_to_surface_and_basal_stresses.
Siobhan has indicated that she prefers the first option, so we would not need a new name for this quantity.

I proposed
shear_of_sea_ice_velocity or
shear_of_sea_ice_velocity_due_to_surface_and_basal_stresses.
Again, Siobhan has indicated that she prefers the first option.

The reason for not mentioning the surface and basal stresses in these two names is that there are also internal stresses within the ice which would be included in the quantities.

I was not certain of the meaning of the quantity with long name ?Sea Ice Ridging Rate? but suggested tendency_of_fractional_ice_thickness_growth_due_to_ridging (s-1).
Siobhan wrote:
> For the ice ridging there could be two options either define it as the rate of ice volume
> ridged or the rate of ice area change contained in the new ridges.
> We may need to discuss this one further.

The units of this quantity are s-1, not m3 s-1 or m2 s-1 so presumably we are talking about a fractional change in volume or area? I.e. fractional or percentage increase of the ice volume|area that already existed?

Perhaps the name should be
tendency_of_fractional_growth_in_ice_volume_due_to_ridging or
tendency_of_fractional_growth_in_ice_area_due_to_ridging.

I think we need to call the quantity a tendency because that is the term we normally use in standard names to mean the time rate of change.

I have received no other comments regarding the sea ice names. If none are received by August 10th (when I return from annual leave) the names (apart from the ridging name) will be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison
--
Scanned by iCritical.