⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name table update

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:49:05 +0100

Dear All,

The standard name table has been updated today as planned. The current
version is now version 15, dated 26 July 2010.
While every effort has been made to ensure that the names, units and
definitions are correct, please let me know if you do spot any mistakes
or omissions.

Best wishes,
Alison

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_
> erosol_due_to_dry_deposition ->

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as
> _
> sulfur_due_to_dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_
> erosol_due_to_gravitational_settling ->

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as
> _
> sulfur_due_to_gravitational_settling

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_
> erosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition ->

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as
> _
> sulfur_due_to_turbulent_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_
> erosol_due_to_wet_deposition ->

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as
> _
> sulfur_due_to_wet_deposition
>
> c. Change 'large_scale' to 'stratiform'.
>
> Jonathan queried the difference between the terms 'large_scale' and
> 'stratiform' which are both used in existing names. They have
> essentially the same meaning and it was decided to standardize on
> 'stratiform'. This will result in the creation of 15 aliases.
>
> large_scale_cloud_area_fraction -> stratiform_cloud_area_fraction
> large_scale_graupel_flux -> stratiform_graupel_flux
> large_scale_precipitation_amount -> stratiform_precipitation_amount
> large_scale_precipitation_flux -> stratiform_precipitation_flux
> large_scale_rainfall_amount -> stratiform_rainfall_amount
> large_scale_rainfall_flux -> stratiform_rainfall_flux
> large_scale_rainfall_rate -> stratiform_rainfall_rate
> large_scale_snowfall_amount -> stratiform_snowfall_amount
> large_scale_snowfall_flux -> stratiform_snowfall_flux
> lwe_large_scale_precipitation_rate ->
lwe_stratiform_precipitation_rate
> lwe_large_scale_snowfall_rate -> lwe_stratiform_snowfall_rate
> lwe_thickness_of_large_scale_precipitation_amount ->
> lwe_thickness_of_stratiform_precipitation_amount
> lwe_thickness_of_large_scale_snowfall_amount ->
> lwe_thickness_of_stratiform_snowfall_amount
> thickness_of_large_scale_rainfall_amount ->
> thickness_of_stratiform_rainfall_amount
> thickness_of_large_scale_snowfall_amount ->
> thickness_of_stratiform_snowfall_amount
>
> d. Surface snow names. Proposed by Jonathan Gregory.
>
> The term 'surface_snow' should be used to distinguish all names for
> quantities relating to lying snow. The term 'snow' is reserved for
> falling snow.
>
> snow_soot_content -> soot_content_of_surface_snow
> snow_thermal_energy_content -> thermal_energy_content_of_surface_snow
> liquid_water_content_of_snow_layer
> ->liquid_water_content_of_surface_snow
> snow_temperature -> temperature_in_surface_snow
>
> e. Kinetic energy dissipation. Proposed by Jonathan Gregory.
>
> To clarify one existing name the following alias will be created:
>
> dissipation_in_atmosphere_boundary_layer ->
> kinetic_energy_dissipation_in_atmosphere_boundary_layer
>
> f. Sea ice displacement. Proposed by Jonathan Gregory.
>
> One alias will be created to clarify that sea_ice_displacement is a
> vector quantity.
>
> sea_ice_displacement -> magnitude_of_sea_ice_displacement
>
> g. water_vapor names. Proposed by Jonathan Gregory and Alison
Pamment.

> The term 'water_vapor_pressure' will be replaced with
> 'water_vapor_partial_pressure' and the medium 'in_air' will be added
> names where it is missing. Four aliases will be created.
>
> eastward_water_vapor_flux -> eastward_water_vapor_flux_in_air
> northward_water_vapor_flux -> northward_water_vapor_flux_in_air
> water_vapor_pressure -> water_vapor_partial_pressure_in_air
> water_vapor_saturation_deficit ->
water_vapor_saturation_deficit_in_air

> h. Dissolved inorganic phosphorus/silcon names. Proposed by Jonathan
> Gregory.

tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicate_in_sea_w
> ter_due_to_biological_processes ->

tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicon_in_sea_wa
> er_due_to_biological_processes

tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphate_in_sea_
> ater_due_to_biological_processes ->

tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus_in_sea
> _
> water_due_to_biological_processes
>
> 2. Clarifications to the definitions of existing names
>
> a. Sinking mole flux names
>
> Jonathan queried the difference between 'sinking' and 'downwelling'
> fluxes. John Dunne explained that 'sinking' is calculated relative to
> moving fluid, whereas 'downwelling' would describe the movement of the
> fluid itself. A sentence will be added to the definition of all the
> sinking mole flux names as follows: "A sinking flux is positive
> downwards and is calculated relative to the movement of the
surrounding
> fluid." This affects seven recently introduced standard names:
> sinking_mole_flux_of_aragonite_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water
> sinking_mole_flux_of_calcite_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water
> sinking_mole_flux_of_particulate_iron_in_sea_water

sinking_mole_flux_of_particulate_organic_matter_expressed_as_carbon_in_
> ea_water
> sinking_mole_flux_of_particulate_organic_nitrogen_in_sea_water
> sinking_mole_flux_of_particulate_organic_phosphorus_in_sea_water
> sinking_mole_flux_of_particulate_silicon_in_sea_water
>
> 3. New names
>
> a. Water surface height names. Proposed by Jeff deLaBeaujardiere.
>
> water_surface_height_above_reference_datum; m
> water_surface_reference_datum_altitude; m

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
--
Scanned by iCritical.