⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of ACDD metadata: dioes this break the CF convention and what are the implications

From: Kenneth Casey <Kenneth.Casey>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:56:12 -0400

Craig - to be absolutely clear: the ACDD attributes in no way conflict with CF. They just provide some recommendations on what names to use for some attributes. Using a common set of attribute names enables us to build tools around those attributes that work well across different data sets. Within NOAA for example there is a project called the Unified Access Framework that has linked together dozens of disparate THREDDS Data Servers through a single THREDDS catalog. The larger number of data sets in that catalog that use the ACDD the easier it is to build and maintain a dynamic crawler to update that catalog on a regular interval. Also, it becomes possible to extract automatically ISO "discovery level" metadata and feed it into standard search mechanisms thereby making it possible to find what you want amidst that sea of information. Other groups have built tools to automatically crawl these attributes to assess the data in terms of it's metadata robustness. That knowledge is useful for a variety of pur
poses.

I will be interested to hear what folks on this list have to say about CF "taking up" the ACDD recommendations. That might be fine but I am not sure it is necessary. ACDD is focused purely on improving discovery. CF focuses on other things like usability and understanding, at least as far as I understand it.

Ken

--
Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D.
Technical Director