⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of ACDD metadata: dioes this break the CF convention and what are the implications

From: Craig Donlon <craig.donlon>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:38:52 +0200

Dear all:
CF is quite light on global metadata and metadata suitable for data
discovery and interoperability. Within the Group for High Resolution Sea
Surface Temperature (GHRSST, see http://www.ghrsst.org) we are updating our
product technical specifications (GDS) documentation. We want to provide
more flexibility and interoperability with our products in a 'future proof'
manner. GHRSST is handling 25Gb data per day in an international context
with many thousands of files in NRT.

Our latest specs. have included the NetCDF Attribute Convention for Dataset
Discovery (ACDD
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html)
and this has raised some questions about our CF compliance. I realise that
CF allows extensions, but what I am asking for is some guidance on the
future aspirations of CF for discovery metadata. I like the
ACDD recommendations and Ideally, I would like to be able to write in our
GHRSST data products that we are fully CF compliant. Does the CF community
anticipate taking up the ACDD recommendations in the near future? What
are peoples thoughts on CF and improved metadata discovery?

I look forward to your comments and advice,

Best regards
Craig Donlon (Chair of the GHRSST International Science Team)

--
Dr Craig Donlon
Principal Scientist for Oceans and Ice
e: craig.donlon at esa.int