⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name for coordinate variable corresponding to complex parts (real and imaginary)

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:59:07 -0400

This proposal is for a standard_name for the real/imaginary
component, i.e. a way of coding complex data in a standard way --
talking about amplitude/phase is a total red herring, and fourier
transform was merely an example, again, not the proposal.

The fact remains that all software that is treating the data as
complex will want both components -- if one is only interested in one
part, then we are not talking about complex data any more.

This discussion should go on to spherical harmonics, and EOFs, as
Bryan suggested, not repeating the same Fourier example over and over.
  Maybe we could pick up on Fourier after talking about some of the
other examples.

I have non-standard structures for both spherical harmonics and EOFs.
EOFs are fairly straightforward, a dataset with a number of related
variables, e.g.

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/expert/SOURCES/.CAC/.ssta/%7BY/cosd%7D%5BX/Y%5D%5BT%5Dsvd/

as opendap

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/expert/SOURCES/.CAC/.ssta/%7BY/cosd%7D%5BX/Y%5D%5BT%5Dsvd/dods

as netcdf

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/expert/SOURCES/.CAC/.ssta/%7BY/cosd%7D%5BX/Y%5D%5BT%5Dsvd/data.cdf

In this case the time series retain the original units, and the
structures are normalized to r.m.s. 1. So the time series can be
tagged by inheriting the tags of the original data, since all we have
done is exchanged the spacial dependence (X,Y) for a modal dependence
(ev).

 This would suggest new standard_names for the eigenvalue independent
variable, and the normalized structures.

As for spherical harmonics, it is an important example, because I am
pretty sure almost everyone who stores them thinks of them as a
compression of the data, or, as I put it earlier, a basis
transformation. On the other hand, my experience is limited to
triangular truncation and the velocity/temperature basis distinction,
and the structure I use essentially tags it as such -- a modeler would
be better suited to discussing what would be representations of the
entire family of spherical harmonics.

Benno