⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] non-standard standard_names

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:06:59 +0100

Dear All,

The 'fast track' approach being discussed has promise and is pretty much in line with the ISO vocabulary model (in which terms have proposed, accepted, deprecated or deleted) used in resources like the GEMET thesaurus. However, there are important details to consider, such as version management (what event triggers the publication of a new version of the vocabulary?).

I am more uncomfortable with concept of community namespace Standard Name lists - I see this as the route to data ghettos (and don't truly believe that the Semantic Web would prevent this as nobody will bother doing the mappings)- and specialized standard names (in my view its either a Standard Name or it isn't and we have to accept that the nature of Standard Name is moving away from the purity of a geophysical phenomenon).

Cheers, Roy