⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] non-standard standard_names

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:35:16 -0400

The original proposal was to include names that have been rejected by
CF for being "too specialized" - these would be permanent parts of the
project vocabulary, not deprecated.

Many in situ instruments produce non-geophysical variables that fall
into this category; although this isn't what Martin had in mind, his
proposal - or something along the same lines - would help us get to
a standard naming scheme for this kind of data too.

- Nan

> So my proposal was to create a vocabulary, or more precisely an RDF
> store, that lets us:
> 1) declare a name that may be proposed as a CF candidate
> 2) make a statement that the name has been (or even 'is being')
> submitted to CF for consideration
> 3a) make a statement that the name has been accepted as a CF name,
> and therefore is deprecated as a proposed name
> 3b) make a statement that the name has been rejected as a CF name,
> and therefore is deprecated as a proposed name
> In either 3a or 3b,
> 4) make a statement that the replacement representation of the name
> is xyz in some other vocabulary

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *