⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:51:35 +0100

Dear Tomoo,

Thank you for supplying a list of processes. I propose to write the
definition of the 'cloud_microphysics' names to include the following
text:

' "cloud_microphysics" is the sum of many cloud processes such as
condensation, evaporation, homogeneous nucleation, heterogeneous
nucleation, deposition, sublimation, the Bergeron-Findeisen process,
riming, accretion, aggregation and icefall. The precise list of
processes that are included in "cloud_microphysics" can vary between
models. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a
complete description of the processes included, for example, by using a
comment attribute. Standard names also exist to describe the tendencies
due to the separate processes.'

Hopefully this definition gives enough information to be helpful, but
allows for variation between models. There are existing standard names
with similarly loose definitions, e.g. the chemical species included in
"alkanes" can vary between different chemistry models, so I don't think
there is any problem with treating cloud feedback names in this way.

If you are happy with the definition then I think we can go ahead and
accept all these names.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_due_t
> > o_cloud_microphysics

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_due_t
> > o_boundary_layer_mixing

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_due_t
> > o_bergeron_findeisen_process_to_cloud_ice
> > tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_ice_in_air

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_ice_in_air_due_to_cloud_m
> > icrophysics

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_ice_in_air_due_to_boundar
> > y_layer_mixing

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_ice_in_air_due_to_bergero
> > n_findeisen_process_from_cloud_liquid
> > tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_condensed_water_in_air

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_condensed_water_in_air_du