⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] BGC output for CMIP5 simulations (fwd)

From: Philip J. Cameronsmith1 <cameronsmith1>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:03:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Alison,

Thanks for your email.

I am not an expert on ecosystems, and so will defer to those who are.

I had assumed that the variable was for carbon production CAUSED by
nitrate through some process, in which case _due_to_ seemed to me to be
appropriate.

Going back to your spreadsheet, I see that the description for
net_new_primary_mole_productivity_of_carbon was 'Vertically integrated
primary (organic carbon) production by phytoplankton based on NO3 alone'.
So now I'm not so sure, and need guidance from an expert.

Is this quantity just being calculated using nitrate as a proxy data
source, or is it production caused by nitrate?

BTW, we might consider replacing NO3 and NH4 in the description with
'nitrate' and 'ammonium', or 'NO3-' and 'NH4+', or making it unambiguous
in some other way, that these are ions and not radicals. Admittedly, this
is probably obvious to most people with some familiarity with the
chemistry or biology, but we might as well be precise.

Best wishes,

      Philip