⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] longitude wrapping creates non-monotoniccoordinate values

From: john caron <caron>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:54:53 -0600

Hi Jon:

Ive thought a lot about what the generalization of monotonicity to nD
coordinates must be. It turns out the monotonic 1d coordinate values are
necessary and sufficient to make the coordinate function invertible. The
condition we want on nD coordinates is that these are invertible as
functions from index space to coordinate space. I havent been able to
formulate a simple algebraic test for that, but i have a simple
geometric one. If you draw a mesh connecting the coordinate values (eg a
2d curvilinear case), the lines of the mesh must not cross. I think in
topology they call this a "conformal mapping", where you get to distort
a rubber sheet (contianing the mesh) as much as you want, but cant tear
or fold the sheet over on itself.

i wrote this up some years ago, though my math is a bit limited:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/papers/CoordMath.htm