⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Units micro prefix "u" deprecated in udunits-2

From: Eizi TOYODA <toyoda>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:49:11 +0900

Hi all,

Nobody here is trying to discourage the use of micro sign. What
character encoding are you going to use?

Micro sign (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/00b5/index.htm)
is single byte 0xB5 in Latin-1 (aka ISO-8859-1) but becomes
double-byte 0xC2 0xB5 in UTF-8. There is also confusing Greek small
letter mu (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/03bc/index.htm)
which is 0xCE 0xBC. In short this letter is bad for computer
processing if we don't have mechanism to specify character encoding.

UDUNITS 2 API has "encoding" argument, and users can choose either
ASCII, Latin-1, or UTF-8. Accordingly "udunits2" command has options
-A -L and -U. It is enough for library that users have control and
responsibility. But CF is a standard of metadata that is exchanged
among people to avoid confusion.

The CF community can choose many ways. I'd like to see views on the community:

(1) Create a global attribute to specify character encoding (like XML)
      I believe this won't work.
(2) Declare that CF uses UTF-8
      Probably many people simply ignore that and put single 0xB5 as micro sign.
(3) Recommends only US-ASCII letters in "units" attribute
      Very conservative, but that is consistent with allowing only
English in standardized attributes.
(4) Do nothing
      I have to warn programmers to anticipate any byte pattern above.
      That would work if only micro sign is an extension to ASCII.

Best Regards,
--
Eiji (aka Eizi) TOYODA
Japan Meteorological Agency / WMO/CBS/IPET-MDI