⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ensemble dimension

From: Doug Schuster <schuster>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:19:22 -0600

Where the 5th dimension allows for multiple levels I meant to say.
The files NCAR produces for TIGGE are all on one fixed level, with one
fixed forecast initialization time.

Doug
On Mar 16, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Doug Schuster wrote:

> John,
>
> I think the standard names and basic template are all the same. The
> only difference is that
> the structure we're using for TIGGE has 4 variable dimensions vs 5,
> where the 5th allows for multiple forecast initialization times.
>
> On Mar 16, 2010, at 3:43 PM, John Caron wrote:
>
>> Hi Doug:
>>
>> Looks to be the same as Paco's. Do you know what was modified?
>>
>> On 3/16/2010 1:46 PM, Doug Schuster wrote:
>>> NCAR uses a modified version of Paco's file structure for TIGGE
>>> output.
>>> All ensemble members found in the file require the same "single"
>>> model initialization time, the same forecast timesteps, and
>>> identical grids types.
>>>
>>> A sample file can be found at:
>>>
>>> http://dss.ucar.edu/download/tigge/ncep_20100223000000_tp_lev_255_id_528.1.5deg.nc
>>>
>>> Here's a snippet from the file header metadata -Doug:
>>>
>>> dimensions:
>>> longitude = 240 ;
>>> latitude = 121 ;
>>> string4 = 4 ;
>>> string2 = 2 ;
>>> time = 4 ;
>>> realization = 21 ;
>>> variables:
>>> float longitude(longitude) ;
>>> longitude:data_type = "float" ;
>>> longitude:units = "degrees_east" ;
>>> longitude:axis = "X" ;
>>> longitude:standard_name = "longitude" ;
>>> longitude:valid_min = 0.f ;
>>> longitude:valid_max = 358.5f ;
>>> float latitude(latitude) ;
>>> latitude:data_type = "float" ;
>>> latitude:units = "degrees_north" ;
>>> latitude:axis = "Y" ;
>>> latitude:standard_name = "latitude" ;
>>> latitude:valid_min = -90.f ;
>>> latitude:valid_max = 90.f ;
>>> int time(time) ;
>>> time:data_type = "int" ;
>>> time:units = "hours since 1950-01-01 00:00:00" ;
>>> time:standard_name = "time" ;
>>> time:long_name = "Forecast Valid Time" ;
>>> int realization(realization) ;
>>> realization:data_type = "int" ;
>>> realization:units = "1" ;
>>> realization:standard_name = "realization" ;
>>> realization:long_name = "Number of the simulation in the
>>> ensemble" ;
>>> char forecast_type(realization, string2) ;
>>> forecast_type:data_type = "char" ;
>>> forecast_type:long_name = "Forecast type" ;
>>> char institution(realization, string4) ;
>>> institution:data_type = "char" ;
>>> institution:standard_name = "institution" ;
>>> institution:long_name = "Institution responsible for the
>>> forecast system" ;
>>> char source(realization, string4) ;
>>> source:data_type = "char" ;
>>> source:standard_name = "source" ;
>>> source:long_name = "Method of production of the data" ;
>>> char experiment_id(realization, string4) ;
>>> experiment_id:data_type = "char" ;
>>> experiment_id:standard_name = "experiment_id" ;
>>> experiment_id:long_name = "Experiment identifier" ;
>>> int perturbation_method(realization) ;
>>> perturbation_method:data_type = "int" ;
>>> perturbation_method:long_name = "Perturbation method, GRIB-2
>>> Code table 4.6" ;
>>> float tp(time, realization, latitude, longitude) ;
>>> tp:data_type = "float" ;
>>> tp:units = "kg m-2 s-1" ;
>>> tp:standard_name = "precipitation_amount" ;
>>> tp:level_name = "Ground or water surface " ;
>>> tp:level_units = "unknown" ;
>>> tp:level_value = 0.f ;