⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sea_surface_wave_mean_period

From: Jeff deLaBeaujardiere <Jeff.deLaBeaujardiere>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:03:15 -0500

Hello-

Thanks again for helpful discussion regarding sea_floor_depth_below_sea_surface and water_surface_height_above_reference datum.

My next question is about wave data. We report a quantity that we call "Average Wave Period." A likely-seeming CF name would be sea_surface_wave_mean_period, but I only find that name qualified by a calculation method:

sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_first_frequency_moment
sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_inverse_frequency_moment
sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_second_frequency_moment

We would like to report mean periods without explicitly stating the method in the variable name. (We do have a metadata record that states a method such as "Longuet-Higgins 1964"; I do not know whether that title implies any particular method from the CF list).

May we use sea_surface_wave_mean_period without qualification?

More generally, below please find my proposed mapping of our current names to existing CF names:

Significant Wave Height = sea_surface_wave_significant_height (m)
Dominant Wave Period = sea_surface_wave_peak_period (s)
Average Wave Period = sea_surface_wave_mean_period (s) [*]
Swell Height = sea_surface_swell_wave_significant_height (m)
Swell Period = sea_surface_swell_wave_period (s)
Wind Wave Height = sea_surface_wind_wave_significant_height (m)
Wind Wave Period = sea_surface_wind_wave_period (s)
Water Temperature = sea_water_temperature (C)
Mean Wave Direction at Peak Period = sea_surface_wave_to_direction (degree) [**]
Swell Wave Direction = sea_surface_swell_wave_to_direction (degree)
Wind Wave Direction = sea_surface_wind_wave_to_direction (degree)

[*] This is the proposed shortened name.
[**] I think this is the appropriate CF name but will consult with out wave experts.

-Jeff DLB