⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] "Andrew Clegg": udunits 1 or 2 for CF?

From: Steven Emmerson <steve>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:53:41 -0700

Andrew,

The "u" prefix can be added to the UDUNITS-2 database by inserting the line

         <symbol>u</symbol>

in the set of other "symbol" definitions for the value "1e-6" in the
database file "$(prefix)/share/udunits/udunits2-prefixes.xml".

At this time, however, I can't say whether or not doing so will have
unintended consequences. If you wish to try it, please do so and get
back to me.

I think a larger issue regarding the adoption of the UDUNITS-2 package
is the fact that it doesn't yet have a Fortran interface. I have not
investigated this matter much but, apparently, Fortran-95 has a
relatively easy mechanism for creating such an interface -- which,
hopefully, would mean that few resources would be needed to create one.
  The question then becomes one of priority: given that the CF
convention adopts the UDUNITS-2 package, how necessary or important is a
Fortran interface? On the other hand, given that creating a Fortran
interface will consume resources (most especially time) how necessary is
adoption of the UDUNITS-2 package?

I encourage and await your input on the matter. Would you please CC me
directly as I don't (yet?) subscribe to the CF mailing-list.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
UDUNITS Developer