⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] "Andrew Clegg": udunits 1 or 2 for CF?

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:11:58 -0500

Hi Steve -

Are all the terms in the new vocabulary backwards compatible, other
than non-ASCII characters and log units?

I just spent some time looking on the unidata web site to see if I could
find any information on changes to basic units names - additions or
otherwise. I'd thought there might be some new basic units, e.g. PSU
for salinity. There doesn't seem to be any way to compare the two
versions, as they're in very different formats. (The new xml list is
great, by the way.)

Lots of people and systems, including the CF spec, use the vocabulary
for basic units from udunits, so when and if these terms change, it would
be helpful to have a description of those changes. The v2 manual doesn't
mention any additions, other than new support for non-ASCII and log
units.

In 10/2006, Alison wrote:

> It emerged that there are already some units that have been identified as being useful for CF that are not currently part of udunits.
> Jonathan wrote:
>
>> > sverdrup = 1e6 m3 s-1 (we can't use the usual abbrev Sv though as it
>> > already has another definition)
>> > PSU and psu = 1e-3 (practical salinity unit, effectively mass
>> > fraction)
>>
> There is also decibel (dB).

Thanks -

Nan Galbraith