⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] water level with/without datum

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:33:37 +0000

Dear Stephen

The issue here is that water doesn't only exist in these "bodies" of water
viz seas, lakes and river. It also exists in the atmosphere and the ground.
For this reason we don't have a standard name of just "water temperature",
for instance. We could define "aqua" to mean "sea, lake or river", but this
is not really any more self-explanatory than using an abbreviation, I'd say.

Roy pointed out that / would be a dangerous character to use, so I'd next
suggest sea+lake+river. I prefer + to - because - looks like _, and it's
terribly confusing to have a mixture of - and _.

I really would prefer defining "sea" to mean "sea, lake or river" but not
everyone who's given an opinion would support that, and I agree that it's not
really self-describing - it would be new jargon.