⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF point observation Conventions

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:40:35 +0000

Hi Nan,

It's a terminology issue. The feature type terms were coined for local use under pressure (so much pressure that I even failed to consult the CSML feature type names!) to describe data in one of our data schemas, which doesn't include single instantaneous measurements.

It's the concepts that are the important thing, which we identify by neutral keys. I'm quite happy to use different terms to describe the concepts providing the concept definitions match exactly. The only reason I exposed them was to ensure CF didn't head off into concepts that didn't map. Getting a set of terms for these concepts that are universally agreed would be worthwhile. Bringing our local terms into line with CSML would be an obvious first step, which I'll try and do next week (currently on travel) in conjunction with checking through John Caron's mappings to the proposed CF feature types

Meanwhile if you've any further suggestions for change (or additional observational feature types you'd like to see) let me know and I'll do my best to fall into line.

Cheers, Roy.