⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Swath observational data

From: Stephen Emsley <SEmsley>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:45:46 -0000

Dear Rob

I would like to join Olivier in asking if you know of other references to best practices considering swath data and CF conventions. I am currently defining the packaging format for optical data products for the ESA GMES Sentinel 3 mission (to replace ENVISAT MERIS & AASTR) and we are attempting to conform to CF Convention.

Concerning multi-spectral data with respect to standard names. My understanding was that you could define a co-ordinate, wavelength, with standard_name radiation_wavelength and use this to assign corresponding channel wavelengths (the canonical unit is metres) to the measurement data one is recording. Of course this is not quite that simple as, for instance, the OLCI instrument on Sentinel 3 has 21 channels with programmable centre wavelength and varying ranges ... I was thinking that the 'bounds' attribute could handle this. However, we are using SAFE packaging for end-user products with each channel stored as a separate netCDF file so will distinguish wavelength in the naming of these files.

As an aside, interesting the recent discussion on cell_methods has been pertinent as what the CCD actually measures is the accumulation of photons over the acquisition period and it is recorded at the end of that time period.

---
Dr Stephen Emsley                                                                                 Tel: +44 (0)1752 764 289
  ARGANS Limited                                                                            Mobile: +44 (0)7912 515 418
    Unit 3 Drake Building                                                                        Fax: +44 (0)1752 772 227
       Tamar Science Park                                                                            SEmsley at argans.co.uk <mailto:SEmsley at argans.co.uk>
          Derriford, Plymouth, PL6 8BY                                                               Skype(tm): archonsme

This message is to be treated as private and confidential, and the information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.

ARGANS Ltd is a limited company registered in England & Wales.
Registered number: 6313966.
Registered address: Thatchers, Russells Water, Henley on Thames, Oxon, RG9 6EU