⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF point observation Conventions ready for review

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:25:35 -0700

Nan Galbraith wrote:
> Hi John -
>
> This file has a single variable from a single mooring deployment. A
> complete mooring deployment file would have 3 (or 4) depth coordinate
> variables, one each for temperature, velocity, and salinity measurements,
> since we measure temperature everywhere and add velocity or salinity
> at selected depths; it would also have met data, which would either have
> a singleton depth dimension or none - but would have sensor heights
> provided as variable attributes.
>
> For the OceanSITES project, we're limited to a single coordinate variable
> for Z, which is why I'm building multiple files for each deployment - at
> least at the moment.
> The sample file also represents a single deployment at a site; a nearly
> identical
> mooring is deployed every year at nominally the same location, with some
> changes to the depths or to the types of instruments (and so, different
> variables)
> at these depths.
>
> Being able to combine all the deployments for a single site could be a big
> help in organizing this data, although at present it's not possible to
> put even
> one full deployment into a single file in the OceanSITES system.
>
> Hope this isn't too much information...
>
> Cheers - Nan

Yes, we see this same issue in wind profiler data - several depth coordinates for the same instrument. This should work in this CF proposal, though I confess that I dont yet deal with this case in my CDM / IDV implementation. Ill send out a sample of this ASAP. Also, taking the lat/lon dimension out of the data variables allows multiple buoys to be in the same file.