⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF point observation Conventions ready for review

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:37:56 -0500

Hi John -

This file has a single variable from a single mooring deployment. A
complete mooring deployment file would have 3 (or 4) depth coordinate
variables, one each for temperature, velocity, and salinity measurements,
since we measure temperature everywhere and add velocity or salinity
at selected depths; it would also have met data, which would either have
a singleton depth dimension or none - but would have sensor heights
provided as variable attributes.

For the OceanSITES project, we're limited to a single coordinate variable
for Z, which is why I'm building multiple files for each deployment - at
least at the moment.

The sample file also represents a single deployment at a site; a nearly
identical
mooring is deployed every year at nominally the same location, with some
changes to the depths or to the types of instruments (and so, different
variables)
at these depths.

Being able to combine all the deployments for a single site could be a big
help in organizing this data, although at present it's not possible to
put even
one full deployment into a single file in the OceanSITES system.

Hope this isn't too much information...

Cheers - Nan

> Hi Han:
>
> Ok, let me understand what you have before I comment on whether it
> fits in:

> It looks like you have a single moored buoy in this file.
>
> The 1D lat, lon I think are clearer as scalars :
>
> float latitude ;
> latitude:axis = "Y" ;
> float longitude ;
> longitude:axis = "X" ;
>
> float time(time) ;
> time:axis = "T" ;
>
> float depth(depth) ;
> depth:axis = "Z" ;
>
> float STMP(time, depth) ;
> STMP:standard_name = "sea_water_temperature" ;
>
> short INST_SN(depth) ;
> INST_SN:long_name = "instrument_serial_number" ;
> So it appears that you have the same depth coordinate for each
> measurement, and some data which is independent of the time, but z
> dependent. Am I missing anything?

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *