⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell bounds associated with coordinate variable rather than data variable

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:09:11 -0700

1. The CDM library uses the bounds if they are present. If only the
coordinate values are present, the CDM generates bounds. These grids
bounds are used by ncWMS and other visualization software to draw color
filled images. The IDV (I think) uses a contouring algorithm with just
the coordinate values.

2. Spatial coordinates probably want to use midpoint values.

3. I think theres a good argument that time coordinates want to use the
end-point. Seth makes the argument for numerical models. In this case,
all the output variables should have the same time coordinate. Im trying
to think of a case where thats not true (point observations, radar data
etc), and im not thinking of any.

4. Perhaps "interval of accumulation" is different enough that one
should just encode it in a separate attribute or auxiliary coordinate on
the data variable. Numerical models can have different variables with
different intervals, possibly overlapping. This is perhaps not really
the same as the bounds on the coordinate, they just share the same
codomain (time). An advantage of this approach is that you dont have to
create new coordinate variables for each data variable, which seems like
more trouble than its worth.