⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag values in netcdf cf -- what are "words"

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:02:26 -0000

Hello,

Rosalyn has very quickly cleared up one problem I was having: I couldn't
get the cf-checker to accept my string of 800 flag_meanings. The problem
lies in the interpretation of Section 3.5 of the CF Conformance
Requirements and Recommendations:

>> "The type of the flag_meanings attribute is a string whose value is a

>> blank separated list of words or phrases (words connected by
>> underscores)."

The cf-checker currently interprets "words" as alpha-numeric characters
only. This excludes hyphens and abbreviations (as in "Alaska-St. Elias
Range tundra", "Trans-Baikal Bald Mountain tundra"), and also "/" and
",", which occurred in my list. My feeling is that the restriction in
the cf-checker should be relaxed and the text clarified -- but it would
be interesting to know what machine-readability criterea people have in
mind for this flag_meanings attribute.

Regards,
Martin

--