⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [cf-pointobsconvention] [CF Metadata] #37: Conventions for Point Observation Data

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:34:06 -0600

Hi Mike - im forwarding this to the cf list, you posted to cf-pointobsconvention at unidata.ucar.edu which is no longer in use.

Its useful to separate these issues into 2 categories: 1) information content and 2) encoding.

So far CF has focussed on standardizing information content and encoding in netcdf-3 "classic" data model. Much of the information content standards are esp relevant to the "climate and forecast" community. As youve no doubt noticed, the proposed CF Observation conventions (https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/37) deals mostly with encoding conventions for observational data and coordinates in the classic format. It sounds like you want to break some new ground for standardizing information content for metadata for observational data?

It certainly is possible to store structured metadata, either as attributes or variables in a netcdf-3 file. netcdf-4 adds groups, new data types, variable length arrays, etc. so it has richer constructs for these purposes, although CF conventions have not started to use them explicitly.

SensorML and SWE and other sensor infrastructures AFAIU have developed very detailed metadata models. We expect that the THREDDS Data Server will be developing capabilities in this area, esp for serving archived data. But exactly how and what the priority is for TDS development is TBD.

If theres enough interest in how this plays out in the context of CF, perhaps a subgroup could form to study these and make recommendations on how these could be integrated into CF conventions?