⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions (vs. Community Profiles), and CF-checker

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:50:04 -0600

Russ Rew wrote:

>>> Another possibility to consider is the notation
>>>
>>> :Conventions = "A/B" ;
>>>

>> Aha, and thanks - I thought the recommended separator was a
>> comma - my mistake.
>>

> The separator "/" is only recommended when convention B is an extension
> of convention A. If A and B are independent extensions, the documented
> recommendation in the User's Guide was use of a space or comma
> separator, but I agree with Jonathan that it would be better to use only
> a space separator to be consistent with other lists in attributes.
>
> --Russ

The downside of using a space is that the convention name then must not
have spaces. Im not sure if thats true for past conventions. Since this
is something that is in the user manual (ie not CF), its not just a
matter for CF to decide, and we need to not break existing, non-CF,
files. However, CF could recommend a best practice for CF writers.

So I think we need to recognize both space and comma and "/" as
separators for conventions names, as the value for the Convention global
attribute.