⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for Ocean Dynamics

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:16:32 +0100

Dear Jenny

> 1)sea_floor_depth_below_mean_tidal_level units: m
> Our model bathymetry has been generated for mean tidal level, which is not exactly the same as mean sea level.

Could you please explain what the difference is?

> 3)total_eastward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> 4)total_northward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1

What would "total" indicate here?

I agree with Nan that depth- and time-average should be indicated by
cell_methods.

> 10)vertical_grid_level units: 1
> The level of the vertical grid above the sea bed. Level 1 = the bed, increasing positively up to the surface.

I would suggest the standard name model_level_number is appropriate for this.
The coordinate variable should have a positive="up" attribute.

Cheers

Jonathan